Skip to main content

GENEViEVE CALLiPSTO of the 4th ESTATE



I remember the day I first lost my heart to a Trotskyist. 

A chap my brother went to school with had pestered me to do a quick hatchet job on the organized left for the tabloids, as one does, and so I found myself, one blisteringly hot day in late capitalism travelling down from Norfolk to North bloody London to help create the personification that was to become the scruffy bearded scourge of unelectable, infantile leftist disorder.   

Spent the first evening learning Cuban folk songs for that weekend’s Solidarity fund raiser. Spent the second at another fund raiser for Nicaraguan Solidarity. Solidarity was big in North London. Next day, down in Parliament Square for Solidarnosc. Back when the Poles stayed in Poland. For him, it was a question of democracy. The only strikers the Tories loved, the BBC's favourite anti-communist trade unionists! he was fond of pointing out, ad nauseam.  On the Thursday we made mad passionate all over the kitchen pine. Full-blown Trotskyist infiltration. I got pavlova in my hair. I was young and free. Well, relatively. God, it’s been an age since I had so much filled time that I haven't had to plan. Back then, stuff just happened to you.
 
These days, he's taking evening classes in leadership: Chairperson Mao of the state feminist left in his cream jacket looking every bit the bit part, a mannequin from Marx and Sparks, apart from the beard, the brand, the white wisps of wit and wisdom and experience etched in each fold of his face that scream trust me I'm a man of the left, a person of principal whose time has come. Who would've thought? When I knew him he wasn't exactly athletic, but if they gave gongs for rumpy pumpy, the comrade had a wiry persistence and dogged commitment to the cause that certainly medalled in London, Islington North. Beijing and Moscow, not so keen on Trots. 

Bit like my editors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CARDBOARD MUMMY GO LA LA iN POUNDLAND!

EVERY WORD IN THIS POEM IS FAMOUS

except the first eleven...
John Lee Hooker Jelly Roll
Eleanor Rigby Mark Kermode 
Spencer Davis Eric Sykes 
Esther Ranzten Jesus Christ

Angela Merkel Sister Bliss 
Tony Hancock Charlie Chuck 
Neneh Cherry Yoko Ono
Isi Noho Muzzi Izzet 
Emile Heskey Luther Blisset 
Lucy Parsons Perry Mason 
Googie Withers David Jason 
Marmalade Atkins Maxim Gorky  
Mhairi Black Stephen Hawking 
Imelda Marcos Indira Ghandi 
David Hockney Andy Pandy 
Rosa Luxembourg Rosa Parkes
Julie Andrews Petula Clarke 

Miguel de Unamuno Kasuo Ishiguro 
Kenzaburo Oe Richard Madeley 
Liam Brady Harry Palmer 
Douglas Bader Mack The Knife 
Emma Goldman Mozzam Begg 
Barrack Obama Doctor Legg 
Stanley Kubrick Big Bill Werbeniuk
Osama Bin Laden Mimi Van Doren Jeremy Corbyn 
Arthur Daley Alex Higgins 
Dr. Jekyll Michael Stipe 

Nicola Sturgeon Bessie Smith 
Siouxsie Sioux Sharon Stone 
Beryl Reid Calvin Klein 
Bazooka Joe Ronnie Lane 
Mott The Hoople Kwai Chang Caine 
Giannina Maradonna Claudia Schiffer 
Silvio Berlusconi Lena Zavaroni  
Snobby Roberts  Katy P…